Reports & News

Image Credit: AP

Tue - 02 Mar 2021 - 06:03 PM ،،،

Agencies


 International aid groups have condemned the UK’s decision to slash up to 50% of its funding to support humanitarian efforts in Yemen. The UN chief, Antonio Guterres, said reducing aid was a "death sentence".

The UK government said it would provide "at least" $120m this year, down from 164m pounds pledged last year.

The cut in the UK's contribution was announced on Monday at a virtual donors' conference by Minister of State for the Middle East and North Africa James Cleverly.

He said "recent global challenges" had "meant a difficult financial context for us all". Funding has fallen off in recent years, just as the pandemic has made needs more acute.

The UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said it was "disappointing" that the UN's Yemen appeal had raised just $1.7 billion - $1 billion short of what was pledged in 2019.

Speaking at a virtual pledging conference, he called for countries to "consider again what they can do to help stave off the worst famine the world has seen in decades".