Local news

Wed - 03 Jun 2020 - 02:59 AM ،،،

Agencies


 A renowned photographer and journalist, Nabil Hasan Al-Qaiti, was gunned down and killed Tuesday in Aden.

The 34-year-old videographer and photographer, who also worked for other major news organisations in the region, was shot in his car by unknown assailants shortly after leaving his home in Dar Saad district of Aden.

Al-Qaiti, who also went by the name Nabil Hasan, began working with AFP in 2015. He was married with three children, and a fourth on the way.

"We are shocked by the senseless killing of a courageous journalist doing his job despite threats and intimidation," said AFP's Global News Director Phil Chetwynd.

"Through his work with AFP over the past five years, Nabil had helped to show a global audience the full horror of the conflict in Yemen. The quality of his work had been widely recognised," he said.

"The thoughts of everybody at AFP are with his wife and children today."

In 2016, Al-Qaiti was a finalist in Britain's Rory Peck Award for his work covering Yemen's long conflict that pits the government again the Huthi rebels, with an entry the judges described as "rare and outstanding".

"What do we know about Yemen? We know there's a nasty, tragic war, but we never see it. There must be almost nowhere harder to get into and to get pictures out of," they said at the time.

In January 2019, Al-Qaiti survived a deadly Houthi drone attack on Yemen's largest airbase, Al-Anad, north of the southern port of Aden, during a military parade he was covering.

US-based Yemeni scholar Fatima Alasrar called Al-Qaiti's murder "absolutely shocking", calling Al-Qaiti a "fierce well-known reporter from #Yemen's South".

Alasrar added that al-Qaiti was known to be a supporter of the Southern Transitional Council (STC).

Tributes poured in for Al-Qaiti across social media.

Sahar Noman, a journalist with Aden TV, said on Twitter that Al-Qaiti was "one of the most prominent photographers of the war in Yemen", and "known for his bravery & high [standard] of photography".

Abdy Yeganeh, the director of conflict mediation group Independent Diplomat, called the news "deeply shocking".

"Nabil was always at the forefront of giving Southerners directly from the ground a platform to be heard. It's a sad and stark reminder that attacks against the press is a global issue that needs urgent attention," he tweeted.

Southern activists on social media platforms accused Islah party (Yemeni branch of Muslim Brotherhood) and al-Qaeda of assassinating him within their burning war against Aden and the South.