Reports & News

Soldiers inspect the scene of the Houthi drone attack in Lahj / Reuters

Mon - 14 Jan 2019 - 09:01 PM ،،،

theguardian


 Houthi rebels in Yemen have threatened to launch more drone attacks after a deadly strike last week on a Yemeni government military parade killed seven people, stoking tension between the warring parties and threatening UN efforts to broker peace.

Houthi spokesman Yahya Sarea said Thursday’s drone strike on a military base in Lahaj province, which killed several people, was a “legitimate operation against aggression”. He said the movement was building a stockpile of locally manufactured drones.

“Soon there will be enough in the strategic stockpile to launch more than one drone operation in multiple battle fronts at the same time,” Sarea told reporters in the Houthi-held capital, Sana’a, on Sunday.

The Yemeni intelligence chief, Brig Gen Saleh Tamah, died on Sunday from injuries sustained in the Houthi drone attack on Thursday. The attack was outside the ceasefire zone, but has been condemned by the US as a breach of the spirit of the Stockholm agreement.

In a further development, Houthi negotiators boycotted a meeting of the UN’s ceasefire monitoring body, the Redeployment Coordination Committee, on Sunday, saying the UN special envoy was using the committee to pursue other agendas.
___________________
Also read: